On February 27, Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for the Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) COVID-19 Vaccine and on February 28, Janssen’s single-dose COVID-19 vaccine was unanimously recommended by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices.
Important information about the Janssen (J&J) vaccine:
- 66.1% effective in preventing moderate to severe COVID-19 infections
- 85.4% effective against severe or critical COVID-19 infections
- 100% effective against COVID-19 infections that required hospitalization or medical intervention
- Single dose of the viral vector vaccine, which is distinct from the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines
- Over 44,000 participants were in the Janssen phase 3 clinical trial and contained no reports of severe allergic reactions post-administration
This marks another major milestone in the fight against COVID-19 and adds another weapon that can be used to bring this pandemic to an end. Working together to combat the spread of COVID-19 by wearing a mask, watching your distance, and washing your hands along with receiving a vaccine, we can beat back the COVID-19 virus.