On September 8, NIHB submitted a letter to congressional leadership alongside the National Congress of American Indians and National Council of Urban Indian Health urging immediate action on critical Tribal health priorities in response to COVID-19. In particular, the inter-organizational letter led by NIHB calls on Congress to immediately pass:
- Minimum $2 billion in emergency funds to IHS for immediate distribution to the I/T/U system
- Minimum $1 billion to replenish lost 3rd party reimbursements across the I/T/U system
- Prioritize equitable distribution of a safe and effective COVID-19 vaccine across Indian Country, including a minimum 5% set-aside in vaccine funds for the I/T/U system
- Minimum $1 billion for water and sanitation systems across IHS and Tribal communities
- Passage of the bipartisan S.3937 – Special Diabetes Program for Indians Reauthorization Act of 2020
Read the full letter.