The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Service Tribal Technical Advisory Group (CMS TTAG) was established in 2003. TTAG was formed to provide advice and input to the CMS on policy and program issues affecting delivery of health services to American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN) served by CMS-funded programs. Although not a substitute for formal consultation with tribal leaders, the TTAG enhances the Government-to-Government relationship and improves increased understanding between CMS and Tribes.
The TTAG carries out its responsibilities as an advisory group by holding monthly conference calls and three face-to-face meetings each year. In order to be more effective and perform more in-depth analysis of Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP, and the Marketplace policies having tribal implications, the TTAG has formed smaller subject specific subcommittees:
The TTAG is comprised of 17 representatives: an elected tribal leader, or an appointed representative from each of the twelve geographic Areas of the Indian Health Service (IHS) delivery system; and
- In addition, a representative from each of the national Indian organizations headquartered in Washington DC, the National Indian Health Board (NIHB), the National Congress of American Indians (NCAI), and the Tribal Self-Governance Advisory Group (TSGAC)
- The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (Recovery Act) section 5006(e)(1), which became effective July 1, 2009, mandates that the TTAG shall be maintained within CMS and added two new representative’s positions: A representative and alternate from a national urban Indian health organization (National Council on Urban Indian Health (NCUIH)) and a representative and alternate from the Indian Health Service (IHS).
- August 23-24, 2017: Face-to-Face meeting at the National Museum of the American Indian in Washington D.C.
TTAG Subcommittee Members
Last Updated: July 17, 2017
- ACA Policy Subcommittee
- Across State Borders Subcommittee
- Behavioral Health
- CMS Tribal Consultation Subcommittee
- Data Subcommittee
- Long Term Care Support and Services Subcommittee
- Outreach and Education Subcommittee
- Strategic Plan Subcommittee
- 1115 Tribal Waiver Subcommittee
Last Updated: February 2018
CMS TRIBAL CONSULTATION POLICY
Last Updated: November 17, 2009
CMS TTAG STRATEGIC PLAN 2013 – 2018